Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day Two

Day 2.
Duration:         8:21:01 (9:07:23)
Work:              4437 kJ
TSS:                369.1 (intensity factor 0.665)
Norm Power:   180
Distance:         210.74 km

 I was supposed to get to Paintsville, KY but I got lost in Huntington and had to make a 30Km detour to find a bridge to cross the Ohio, river!!!!!
The GPS pointed me on route 23, but it turned out to be a 4 lane highway similar to 21 in Massillon! Unfortunately there were no alternate roads! It seems that below Ohio the roads have all be replaced by highways while in Ohio they built the highways next to the old roads (so we can bike on old 30 or on old route 8 etc). I set off on 23 planning on getting to Paintsville before 8PM, as I was late from the detour. While riding south on 23 I got caught in a thunderstorm. There was nothing in sight so I kept on going hoping it would blow by. After an hour of riding in the pouring rain, it stopped raining and I immediately got a flat tire. After changing the tire and tube, I realized that I was not going to make it to Paintsville so I stopped at the first town with a Motel: Louisa, Ky.
Was I glad that I stopped! An hour after settling into my room a REALLY BIG THUNDERSTORM started and lasted for ever. The light went out the internet went out ….  On the news they mentioned flooding and tornados in the area!
The next morning the motel still had no internet so I went to McD’s next door to plan a new route trying to avoid 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment