Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day Four


Day 4
Duration:               8:09:30 (9:16:06)
Work:                    4320 kJ
TSS:                      378.9 (intensity factor 0.682)
Norm Power:        184
Distance:                184.761 km

Whiteburgh, KY to Johnson City, TN.
This was my original destination for day 3 if I had continued on 23 …..
My new route started up great! The GPS was taking through some beautiful mountain roads and I was really enjoying the ride. The first portion took me up to about 2100 feet on a fairly nice road. There were some coal trucks going by …. After the decent the GPS told me to turn right ….. but there was no road ….. I stopped at the first person I saw and asked for directions: he told me I was going the wrong way and that I had too go back to Whitburgh and go to 23 and that was the only way south ….. he also suggest I go back 5 miles and take a mountain road that would take me to 23 ….. I opted for the road over the mountain to 23 and headed back. At the interswection the the little road there was an ald time general store and I stopped for directions and he owner (wearing the wildest blond toupe) told me that I had been going the right direction and that the was a road that would cross the Back mountain and take me into Virginia. I head back south and took 160 across the black mountain. Now this is a nice bike road! It is the beast climb I have ever done. Nice shaded road with almost no cars. And the few cars were super polite!
It was a really great rride up to the top at about 3200 ft. The descent could be a great ride but for the gravel on the road. I really put my new break pads to work! On Google maps it appeared that there was an Old 23 that ran parallel to the freeway …. But it only lasted 10 miles and I had ti choose between getting back on 23 or doing a 70 mile detour. I opted for 23 and rode to the outskirst of Kingston where a slightly better road (30 I think) took me into Johnson City. In Kingston I rode in the gutter to let some cars go by and hit a draincover and got a pinch flat …. The positive side of a flat is that you can rest your legs and work your upper body.

I am actually quite happy with my physical condition. My training has prepared me really well for the ride and I really have never felt tired.
On the other hand I am definitely not mentally prepared for the ride. Not knowing exactly where I am going and not knowing what is ahead is very intimidating. When the roads were really scary I felt like stopping at a used car place (there many around here) buying a car and driving to the race …. When riding from home, no matter how far, I know that my wife is a phone call away …. There is also no one to consult – I have to make all of the decisions …. and tired cyclists should probably not be making decisions ….
Anyway, I am here in Johnson City and a really comfortable Red Roof Inn! My clothes are washed, I am eating, and eating, and drinking and drinking …


Technically I feel that the trip has gone very well. The bike is working really well. My non traditional 29 cog is a little glitchy at times. I might experiment installing a 26 tooth front chain ring instead of the 30 I have now.
I should have perhaps installed heavy duty tires instead of my favorite Continental s4000. Maybe a good set of 28s?
My netbook is great! Whish I had more time to answer all of those work emails J
In the evening I put ma legs up on a table, put the netbook in my lap and eat. The netbook slows me down so I eat more slowly. When I watch TV I eat too fast! The tying and the clicking makes for a much better digestion!

The Sansa clip MP3 player is great too, it really runs all day on a single charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment