Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day Five - Friday May 13th ...... brrrrrrr .......


Day 5

Duration:               3:15:17 (3:17:33)
Work:                    1768 kJ
TSS:                      141 (intensity factor 0.659)
Norm Power:        178
Distance:                70.232 km

Johnson City – Spartanburg SC
Last day of my epic ride! Ended up being relatively uneventful. I probably did not pick the most bike friendly route, but it was not a 4 lane highway (well actually some parts were three lanes but that makes it easier for the cars and trucks to pass me)
The first part of the ride was on 19E that took me over Roane Mountain and through Elk Park. The ascent was a mild 6% grade most of the way up. The road was relatively busy and felt like a highway if not for the periodic signs pointing out that it was a bike path! There were of course no other cyclists …. At the top of the mountain there was a relatively long section off flat road before the decent started. The decent was fast and steep with many turns and hairpins and great asphalt …. FUN! At the bottom of the mountain I got on 221 that was for the most part a 2 lave highway but with many trucks going by. Most of them were very polite, did not honk and drove slowly behind me till either I pulled over or the was enough room to pass.
The section from Marion to Spartanbug was a series of undulating hills that where quite leg zapping;  I think I also forgot to mention that from day two on I mostly had pretty strong headwinds. The headwind on the last 60 miles was really strong …. Nevertheless knowing that the goal was in sight made it all the easier.
On the outskirts of Spartanburg I realized that the GPS was pointing towards downtown and not my Hotel!!! I started to call the hotel but realized that the phone battery was dead even though I had charged it before leaving. Note to self: turn off the phone before spending 3 hours climbing a mountain with the phone searching for service …. J  
The GPS can find nearby hotels and I thought I had found mine …. but when I got there I found out I was wrong …..… a very nice lady, gave me directions and I made it to the Hotel 5 miles later …..to find out that I had reserved my room for Saturday and not Friday …. ooooops  ….there were no rooms available either … but right next door was a Courtyard and they had a nice room for me!!! J More expensive but very nice! Got some take out Chinese (with double rice!)  and started my two days or recovery ….

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading all about the sportif itself.
    Bravo!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete